Volume visualization, which has been widely used in domain scientific research, engineering, and medical, aims at revealing insights of the 3D volumetric data with intuitive user interfaces. There are multiple research challenges in volume visualization, such as the paradigm of user interaction, transfer function design, as well as the rendering performance and large data handling.
- Hanqi Guo, and Xiaoru Yuan. “Local WYSIWYG Volume Visualization.” In Proceedings of IEEE Pacific Visualization Symposium (PacificVis 2013), pages 65-72, Sydney, NSW, Australia, Feb. 26-Mar. 1, 2013.
- Hanqi Guo, He Xiao, and Xiaoru Yuan. “Scalable Multivariate Volume Visualization and Analysis based on Dimension Projection and Parallel Coordinates.” IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, 18(9):1397-1410, 2012.
- Hanqi Guo, Xiaoru Yuan, Jie Liu, Guihua Shan, Xuebin Chi, and Fei Sun. “Interference Microscopy Volume Illustration for Biomedical Data.” In Proceedings of IEEE Pacific Visualization Symposium (PacificVis 2012), pages 177-184, Songdo, Korea, Feb. 28-Mar. 2, 2012.
- Hanqi Guo, Ningyu Mao, and Xiaoru Yuan. “WYSIWYG (What You See is What You Get) Volume Visualization.” IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics (Vis '11), 17(12):2106-2114, 2011.
- Hanqi Guo, He Xiao, and Xiaoru Yuan. “Multi-Dimensional Transfer Function Design based on Flexible Dimension Projection Embedded in Parallel Coordinate.” In Proceedings of IEEE Pacific Visualization Symposium (PacificVis 2011), Hong Kong, March. 1-4, 2011.
- Xiaoru Yuan and Baoquan Chen, Illustrating Surfaces in Volume, In Proceedings of Joint IEEE/EG Symposium on Visualization (VisSym'04), pages 9-16. Konstanz, Germany, May 19-21, 2004.
- Xiaoru Yuan, Minh X. Nguyen, Baoquan Chen and David H. Porter, “HDR VolVis: High Dynamic Range Volume Visualization.” IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, 12(4):433-455 July/August, 2006.
- Xiaoru Yuan, Nan Zhang, Minh X. Nguyen and Baoquan Chen, “Volume Cutout.” The Visual Computer 21(8-10):745-754 (2005). (Special Issue of Pacific Graphics 2005). Springer-Verlag, 21(8), pp. 745-754, 2005.
|Multivariate Volume Visualization of the Hurricane Isabel Data with Integrated PCPs and MDS Plots |
|WYSWIG (What You See Is What You Get Volume Visualization)  (MPEG4 VIDEO (6.15MB))|
Software: PKU Scientific Visualization System
- Multi-resolution rendering on single workstation
- Parallel volume rendering on clusters
- Versatile remote image output and user interaction input
- Standard workstation
- iPad and other multi-touch devices
- Tiled display wall with Kinect motion input
- Versatile volume rendering engines for different hardware environments and different applications, including
- OpenGL (Cg/GLSL/View aligned slices)
- NVidia CUDA
- Pure software implementation
- Cross-platform implementation, including Linux, Windows and MacOS
For limited version, see PKU Volume Visualization Toolkit
- Prof. Xiaoru Yuan (Faculty)
- Hanqi Guo (PhD Student)
- He Xiao (PhD Student)
- Jie Liu (Previous group member)
- Ningyu Mao (Previous group member)
- Guihua Shan, Xuebin Chi (CNIC, CAS)
- Fei Sun (Institute of Biophysics, CAS)