Visualization on Beijing Air Quality
- You can try it here.
- Time range: 2012.10.17 ~ 2012.10.30, per hour
- Places: 26 monitor stations (1 place missing)
- Attributes: CO and O3 values in Beijing City; SO2, NO2, PM10 and PM2.5 values in each monitor stations.
My design aims at:
- Distributions: Air quality distributions in place and time.
- Comparisons: Compare among regions, and among locations can be obtained.
- Surveillance: Both the abnormal values and the missing data can be detected easily.
About the Interface:
- Line graph: 6 lines for 6 attributes of the whole Beijing City changing in 14days. That means except the first 2 values which are already given, the last 4 values are average value of all existing places.
- Block Matrix, each block is an icon consists of 4 part, for express one place's status in on hour. The whole matrix represents all 26 places' air quality in a whole day, unfilled blocks means missing data of related attributes. Clicking on the line chart above will decide which day to show.
- Tree-like structure of places, since Beijing City consists of 5 large regions, I labeled each places
- Remove the missing place. After explore the whole data, I found the 14th place doesn't appeared at all, so I just remove the 14th place from the place list, that means 26 places left now.
- Labeling the places into 5 large regions.
- Draw those graphs and block matrix mentioned before.
- Add linking between line graph and block matrix, and labels on hover, etc.
Results and Findings
- Access: You can try it here.
- Distributions: The worst time appeared at night of 26 Oct in 14 days. And seems like bad air usually appeared in afternoon or at night.
- Comparisons: Most likely polluted places are those in 西北 regions.
- Surveillance: We can see that 石景山古城's records disappeared since 10.19 16:00, so maybe there's something wrong with the monitoring system.
- Abnormal Peak discovered easily of SO2 value in 顺义新城 at Oct 22, 15:00.
- Space compression :p
- Map of Beijing needed for clearer perception in space. Maybe an abstract or topology one is enough.
- Instructions and explanations on how to explore.
public_course/visclass_f12/assignment/a02/qingya.shu/start.txt · Last modified: 2012/12/03 02:19 by qingya.shu